Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 in Books

I sort dropped the ball on updating my book reviews on this blog, but in my defense...I just read too many darn books!
But, I am going to post the top books I read this year. These are mostly my 5-star rated books, which means I generally would recommend them to anyone who will listen. I also am throwing in a few 4-star books as honorable mentions. And for what it's worth, I am pretty stingy with my star ratings.
I read 117 books this year, and only 9 received 5 stars.
 
FangirlThe 5th WaveMe Before YouCode Name VerityThirteen Reasons Why
Jellicoe RoadEleanor & ParkHopelessAllegiant
 
 
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
I loved this on so many levels. First, she really nailed the twin relationship. And then the whole obsession with a fictional character/book series. Nailed that too. And there's Levi. Sweet, happy go lucky Levi. I will read anything that Rainbow writes. Call me a fangirl ;-)

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancy
Talk about a page turner.  I hate to call it an alien book. It's more like a post apocalyptic/alien/zombie story. This is going to be the next book I push on all my friends. The only downside is the long wait until #2 comes outs.

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
What a beautiful story. It was worth the ugly cry.                  

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
Wow. Fantastic story. I can't imagine the amount of research that went into this. It was a bit of slow start for me, with all the jargon, but I was quickly hooked and could not put it down. A great story of friendship.

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Wow. Just wow. I admit I put off reading this for a while because I thought it would be depressing. But it wasn't. I laughed out loud in some places. But mostly, it just makes you think about how little actions can mean so much to others. The way this story is told is just genius too. This should be required reading for high schoolers.

Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
Wow. Just wow. I have to admit I was a bit confused in the beginning, but when it started to come together, I was hooked. I loved the relationship of Tate, Narnie, Webb, Fitz and Jude. Something very nostalgic about their story. And then Taylor with her enemies, the Townies and Cadets. I think I am going to miss these characters. I love this author. This is the 3rd book I've read of hers, and they are all just so well written.

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
I think I liked this so much that it hurt. It was heart wrenchingly beautiful.

Hopeless by Colleen Hoover
Another well written book by Ms. Hoover. I wanted to fly through it, and slow down and savor it at the same time. I loved Sky's voice; it was so real. Strong, but vulnerable. And of course, how can you not love Holder! I'll be thinking about this book for days
Allegiant by Veronica Roth
The end of the Divergent trilogy. Controversial ending, and as much as it hurt, she ended it the way she should have. Any other ending wouldn't have stayed true to the characters.

Honorable mentions to:

Finnkin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta
I think I've said this before, but I will read anything Melina writes. I'm usually not a fan of fantasy, but this story was such a page turner. I can't wait to read the next in the series.

And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini
This is another author who I will read anything they write. I barely even knew what this book was about, but since he wrote it, I was going to read it. It is written in an interesting way, with each chapter being from a different character's POV, many from different time periods, and you don't really know until the end how their stories all inter related.

Something Like Normal by Trish Doller
A book about a soldier who has returned home Afghanistan. I really liked the main character's voice because it felt authentic to me.

My Life After Now by Jessica Verdi
A story about a girl who makes a mistake that will change her life forever. Such a great book and not a topic you read about everyday.

The Scorpio Races, The Raven Boys and The Dream Thieves, all by Maggie Steifvater
I will read everything she writes. Everything.  I think Maggie writes the best relationships, and not just romantic relationships.


 

 
 

1 comment:

Jo said...

And... My to read list just grew.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails